Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pitcairn Island Health Centre


                                                      Pitcairn Island Health Centre

Pitcairn Island has a well resourced Health Centre.  The current doctor is Kevin Donovan who came here to Pitcairn Island in 2011 to complete a one year contract with his wife Sharon.  The Pitcairn Island Government finds it difficult to recruit a suitably qualified doctor.  Doctor Kevin Donovan will be replaced by Doctor Peter Carden in September this year. Peter and his wife Maria have lived and worked on Pitcairn Island before. 
Reception area

 
                                                              Doctor Kevin Donovan

 The Health Centre has an x-ray machine and a room that is kept at a cool temperature for storing the medicines.  There is all the usual surgery equipment and dental facilities.  In terms of waiting lists and availability to be seen, Pitcairn Island provides better services than you get back in New Zealand.

Aerial view of Health Centre

 When I applied for the job of coming here to Pitcairn Island as a school teacher one of my first questions at our interview was “Is there a doctor on Pitcairn Island?” When we lived in a remote area of the Highlands of Papua New Guinea I had a burst appendix and peritonitis set in.  I nearly lost my life as Paul did all he could to evacuate me to safety.  From that point on I have not wanted to risk living in an area with no health facilities.

5 comments:

  1. I love reading all the entries in this blog. I am learning so much about Pitcairn and the people that live there.

    I am hoping that you signed up for a 2 year stay so the blog will continue.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nearly lost my life as Paul did all he could to evacuate me to safety. From that point on I have not wanted to risk living in an area with no health facilities.

    first aid courses

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea it seems cool but needs better facilities

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!

    Can I ask what would be the fastest or most efficiency way of getting medical help from Adamstown, Pitcairn Island from Henderson Island?
    I am currently doing a project on Henderson Island and would like your input on my query.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are many things you will need to consider of you want to start your family so that you actually enjoy the experience. With women's health services you can get your health questions answered. diabetic burger king

    ReplyDelete